NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Wren Eggs Not Hatching
Name: Diane D.
Date: Saturday, August 31, 2002

Question:
Last year I wrote to you about the fact that our house wrens did not come to our yard area to nest. This year we had a pair of wrens. The male put sticks in two houses that we have in our yard. The female first chose a house and was in it for a week or two. She then left the house and chose to nest in the other one. She remained in the second house for at least 3 weeks and then left. None of the eggs hatched. In the first house there were six eggs. I have not checked the second one yet but I am sure she is gone. The mother was in her nest all the time only leaving to get food. Why would two batches of eggs not hatch? I did notice the male was not around the last couple of weeks.

There are many reasons eggs might not hatch, we cannot answer the question without much more direct information - I do not know that I would be able to tell even if I had personally observed the birds through the season. Some possibilities are improper fertilization, congenital defects, interruption of incubation (though from the information you give that does not seem likely), probably others.