NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Wintering Mantis Eggs
Name: Anthony H.
Date: 
Monday, September 30, 2002

Question:
I have a female praying mantis and I have her in medium sized card board box because that is where she laid her eggs. I was wondering, since she has laid them indoors, where should I place the box so that the climate is suitable for the nymphs to emerge in about 3-6 months? I would also like to know if it is a problem if dust or water gets on the packs of eggs, and if so where can I put the box to prevent it?

This site has information on life cycle and rearing of praying mantis: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2154.html