NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Duck Tongues
Name: Margot

Question:
Do ducks have tongues? WE have had someone bring a duck to us they thought was injured. The duck does indeed seem to have difficulty eating When I got it to open its bill I did not see a tongue. I didn't of course get a very long look as I do not want to upset the little guy anymore than he already seems to be. He will nibble at my fingers(trying to bite me?) but when offered food will only try to eat bread soaked in water. No all purpose poultry works for him. I do not want to domesticate a wild duck but he does seem to be having trouble although he is also grown with feathers and all.

I am sorry this reply is probably too late for helping this duck. All birds DO have tongues, though in some it is very small and not very functional. Even within the waterfowl there is considerable variation, so without knowing what species of duck this is I cannot say what kind of tongue it would have.

As for care, it is against federal law to keep and care for any native migrant wild bird, even with the best intentions. All injured birds should be taken immediately to a licensed rehabilitator.