NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cook County Spiders
Name: Jim F.

Question:
I live in Northwest Cook County (Park Ridge, IL), and have encountered several spiders in and around my house. Their color is closest to a pale amber, and are about a half inch long. Another kind is black in color, about one-third of an inch long, and are crab- like in appearance. I have two daughters, one is 3 years old the other is 1 and a half years old, and I am concerned if these spiders are a risk to them as well to my wife and I.

It is very risky to identify creatures as diverse as spiders without having them in hand. You MIGHT have common house spiders, which are tan to gray, females have yellowish legs and males orangish legs. A crab-like spider sometimes found in houses is the crevice spider, which is small, rather slow moving, and more dark brown to dark gray than black. Neither of these species is a danger to humans, but I repeat that while these are among the likely species in houses in the area, I cannot say that these are the ones you have.