NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Hippopotamus Hoof
Name: Zec
Status: Teacher
Age: 40's

Question:
I have been researching the hoof of hippopotami. I have conflicting information about this animal. Does it have a cloven hoof, such as a deer, gazelle, bovines, goats, llamas, and the like? I have some sources that say yes, but that conflicts with other sources that speak of four toes, and in some pictures, the hoof looks more like that of the elephant than that of a buffalo.

I believe that hooved animals are grouped into even toed and odd toed. So a cloven hoof can be "cloven" in two, or four.