NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Carcass Disposal
Name: William C.

Question:
Dear Scientists, My wife recently began work at a county animal control shelter here in Oregon. Among her new duties is the handling and disposal of animal carcasses - mostly dog and cat - in the incinerator. The animals are left on an open-to-the-air loading dock for several days prior to disposal with predictable consequences.

Is there a way to prevent the infestation of maggots while the bodies are waiting on the dock? They do not run the incinerator daily, but only when there are enough bodies to warrant a "run," usually within 72 hours.

A simple low-tech solution is to put them in plastic garbage bags and tie tightly. I do not know if you could then put the bags in the incinerator, if not, it might be too much trouble to unbag them again. Also if scavengers can get to the carcasses while waiting they could tear open the bags and defeat the purpose.