NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bird Hearing Ranges
Name: Richard F.

Question:
I am interested in determining the hearing frequency of certain birds, i.e., what range do they hear? I assume that it is different for different species, and am particularly interested in Pica pica, the blackbilled magpie. Obviously the hearing range for birds overlaps the human range, as we can hear them and the can hear us, but does it extend above or below our hearing range, and how much? Especially for the above species.

There has been a great deal of research on this very complex topic. Many bird songs extend into frequencies well above that of humans. An older reference is "A Study of Bird Song," I believe by Donald Borror, reprinted some years ago by Dover Publications. Borror has written several books and assembled recordings. Lang Elliott is another author with several titles on bird songs. A textbook of ornithology should be a good reference, as is The Audubon Society Encyclopedia of Birds edited by Terres.