NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Food Chain
Name: Holly R.

Question:
I am creating a food chain and know that Hawks eat mice. However, I don't know "what eats a Hawk?".

Holly,

You have proposed an interesting question. Clasically, a hawk is considered "the top of the food chain." That is, nothing eats a hawk. However, the natural world is never so simple, some big cats (moutain lions, bobcats, leopards)and bears have been known to eat hawks, especially if the hawks are injured or sick and cannot fly away.

Here is a fun website:

http://ecokids.earthday.ca/pub/eco_info/topics/frogs/chain_reaction/index.cfm#

Good Luck,
Saundra
University of Illinois
College of Veterinary Medicine
Class of 2004

Most of the time, nothing eats a hawk. They are at the top of the food chain. Except when they die, and then they are decomposed by bacteria and fungi.