NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Snail Behavior
Name: Jessica

Question:
My land snail is not coming out of its shell, I am sad because its might be dead. But how would I know. So mum said she would write and ask, because she does not want to bury it if it is still alive. It has not been out for a week. (HELP!!!)

Hi Jessica!

i am not a zoologist but i am a grand ma and heard your cry for help so i went to look for an answer for you as soon as i read your message...

See darling. i think you must not give up your little pet, not yet. See there are facts other than death that can justify for it not coming out of its shell.

1) she could be dehydrated. In that situation it can either dug into the ground, or fall into a state of estivation- a period of low activity resembling sleep. The shell aperture is then closed by a membrane made from dried mucus and the snail, with its shell and everything sticks to a plant stem or else.

2) That kind of thing can happen also when the winter comes to protect from the cold weather. I see you live in England, how is the temperature in your town now?

Anyway my advice would be:

1)leave the little thing alone where it is, nature will take care and in due time most probably she will emerge for your happiness... Usully land snails have long (few years) life cycles.

2) in the mean time why dont you ask Mom to get you another snail? Give us news will you?

Grandma Mabel (PhD)