NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Skunk Variations
Name:  Jane Hoffman

Question:
I just looked up white skunk with black stripe to see what it was we saw, and I found your answer that there is probably no such skunk. Well, there is one in Portsmouth, NH, and it was on Cabot Street tonight walking across the road and entering someone's garden. It was indeed mostly white with black running down the middle of its back. I was really surprised to see it myself. If I had the right kind of camera and could find it again, I would take a photo. This was on Feb. 12, 2004, at about 8:00 PM, and two of us saw this white skunk.

I wouldn't be too surprised. Variations in typical colors and markings is not too unusual.

PF