NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Summer Cardinals
Name: Myrna S.

Question:
Where do cardinals migrate to in the winter? Living here in Michigan we do not see them after the summer. Thanks you for your answering this question for me.

Northern cardinals are generally non-migratory. In the 19th century they were rarely reported north of central Illinois-Indiana, but in the 20th century expanded their range to Minnesota, Michigan and Ontario. I can't say why you don't see them in the winter as they must surely be somewhere nearby.