NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Turtles and Water
Name: Amy

Question:
I am babysitting a very little water turtle for my science class this summer. In the cage I gave him a little pool, but it seems he wants it bigger. How much bigger should I get the pool, and how long can turtles stay under water? My turtle was kind of freaking me out because he was under water for a large amount of time. Thank you!

Truly aquatic turtles, like painted turtles and sliders, prefer to be in the water most of the time, and will do well in an aquarium with a rock to climb on when they want to get out of the water. Make sure rock is placed at a level that the turtle can get a grip on it to climb out. Aquatic turtles can stay under for a long time, often a half hour or more at a stretch. Good luck.