NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Brazilian Snake
Name: Matthew R.

Question:
Perhaps Mabel Rodriguez could help me with this one... I was in Brazil last month in the Atlantic rainforest between Rio and Sao Paulo and saw an enormous snake about 2 meters long. It was thick and mostly black with specks of yellow as it moved. It was yellow on the bottom with a narrow head. It crawled out from under a waterfall (where I was showering) and calmly and slowly climbed up a tree. Any idea what type of snake this was?

Hi Matt!

Probably the snake you saw was the one with vulgar name Caninana, scientific name:Spilotes pullatus, english name Rat snake.

It is a non-poisonous snake quite common in Brazil. Its habitat are usually trees close to rivers and lakes. Their food are small birds, lizards and small rodents. Oviparous can lay around 12-18 eggs. It is not dangerous but if irritated can give a small bite. Their length goes up to almost 3 m. By the way, if you ask www.google.br (in portuguese) by caninana, you can see very beautiful pictures of that snake.So you can see if it is really it!

Thanks for remembering my name... and come back to Brazil.

Mabel

(Dr. Mabel Rodrigues)