NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Owl Aggreession
Name: Robyn V

Question:
I live in Deerfield, IL Lake County and every night this week my husband has been walking our 2 dogs (under 10 pounds each) in a nearby park. Each time a owl seems to be coming over him and stalking him and the dogs. Is there any way to deter the owl, is this something to worry about for the dogs and my husband?

The owl is probably a male Great Horned Owl and it is being territorial because this is the time of year for mate selection. You will probably have a nest nearby during January, February and March. For some reason the owl must see your pet as competition for food or space. I would avoid the park for the time being, but the owl is not a threat to humans.

We have this information in our archives.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/archive.htm