NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dove Hatching
Name: Pam D

Question:
I have had a male white ringneck dove for a year. Two months ago I acquired a white female. She has laid several eggs since we've had her. The two she laid a week and a half ago are fertile and the two she laid about 5 days ago seem to be fertile also. (I see veins in the eggs while looking against a light). Is it ok to leave all four eggs to hatch all at once? Or should I remove the most recent two? We keep the two in separate cages most of the time, but we let them out for several hours during the day for exercise. The male can be very harsh to her sometimes (that's why I keep them separate) but they managed to mate several times (obviously). I don't know what kind of parent he would be so I don't think he would help her with the babies.

We do not have thisexpertise. However, you should not expect all the eggs to survive. I would trust the female' instincts with hatching and rearing. There are pamphlets on this subject, and I have seen them in our local pet shop.