NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Feet Fat and Cold
Name: Samantha

Question:
I am reading the book Winter: An Ecological Handbook by Halfpenny and Ozanne and I'm reading that husky dogs, wolves, and moose have unsaturated fat in their feet that stays liquid at low temperatures, therefore their thin feet don't freeze standing in the winter. Do white tailed deer have the same fat in their feet? I'm creating a display about surviving winter in a cold climate

Samantha,

To answer your question, no, white-tailed deer do not have the same fat deposits in their feet. The reason for this is that wolves are like dogs, they have soft pads on their feet. Deer are like horses, having hooves. A hoof is like a very strong, thick fingernail. It has few pain receptors (even fewer for temperature), helping the deer to keep the soft, inner part of its "foot" off of the ground. It's weight is carried on its hooves.

G. Fields