NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Sea Gull Behavior
Name: lou
Age: other
Location: VA

Question:
We are 300 miles from the east coast on Claytor Lake in VA. Lately we have seen thousands of sea gulls on the water and flying around. What are they doing so far inland, where do they go at night,and where do they go from here.

I'm from Illinois, so I can't answer specific questions. However, the term "sea gull" is so vague as to be meaningless. There are several common species of gulls and quite a few less common, and many of them range far from the "sea." In the Chicago area ring-billed gulls are found on Lake Michigan and far inland on and around ponds, lakes, shopping centers - wherever they can scavenge for food. On the east coast, according to the range maps in the Peterson field guide, ring-billed and herring gulls winter along the Virginia coast and herring gulls breeding range is "expanding." This edition of the guide was published in 1980. Gulls are scavengers and will go wherever there is food.