NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Snake Eyes
Name: Jason
Age: other
Location: MS

Question:
Is it true about poisonous snakes having cat eyes and non-poisonous snakes having round eyes? I've heard several people say this before and never knew who I could ask. I really appreciate your response.

With the exception of coral snakes, all other North American poisonous snakes - rattlesnakes, copperheads and cottonmouths - are pit vipers. Pit vipers do have vertical pupils, while most other snakes have round pupils. Coral snakes are NOT pit vipers, and have round pupils, and while the snakes are small their venom is very potent. The best thing to remember here is that no simple rules apply to these kind of questions - it is not hard to learn to identify each species and that is the only way to be sure.