NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Octopus Intelligence
Name: Ben
Age: 9-12
Location: WA

Question:
Are Octopuses intelligent enough to open a jar of food to get a piece of food out of it say for example a lobster?

Don't quote me on this, but I have heard of octopus's being able to get into things like closed containers. Because of the thousands of suction cups on their legs it would be very easy for them to open up a jar. As to if they are smart enough, octopuses are fairly intelligent creatures, regardless what we might think, so my inkling is to say yes, they probably would be able to open a jar.

Grace Field