NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Scorpion Predators
Name: Sandra
Location: WA

Question:
My son and his friends play air soft games in the canyon behind our house. We have deer, a family of fox, and the natural mice. We live in Clarkston Washington located on the Snake River at the beginning of the Hells Canyon. I mentioned how this summer will be fun for them and the friends that have lived here for several years swear there are Rattle snakes (probably) and scorpion (?) that live in the canyon. I hear Bull snakes will take care of the Rattle snakes, but what will take care of the scorpion? I want to keep this as natural a process as possible, while allowing my 8th grader and his friends a safe area to run this summer break.

Yes, there are scorpions and rattlesnakes in eastern Washington, but that should not keep you from enjoying the outdoors. The best defense is to learn to identify the potentially dangerous animals and plants, and where they live and how to recognize and avoid them. There are predators of almost all animals, but that won't help you if you encounter one. Bull snakes for example will not "take care of rattlesnakes," its up to you to avoid them. A good article on outdoor "threats" in Washington is at the following link to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Scorpion stings, by the way, are usually not much worse than wasp stings. Rattlesnakes are potentailly more dangerous.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getaways/116658_critters10_copy.shtml