NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Laying Hard or Soft Shells
Name: penny
Age: other
Location: PA

Question:
my mother and i have a bet going on. when a chicken lays an egg, is the shell soft when it comes out , or is it already hard? I say that the shell is soft and that it hardens as the air hits it. Mom says that it is already hard as it comes out. Who is right?

Mom wins!

I grew up on a farm...for chickens the shell is already hard as the hen is laying the egg. Perhaps in other bird species this might be true. Occasionally an egg is layed without a shell at all! In most turtles and snakes the eggs are never hard.

Lou Harnisch