NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bird Sprawling Behavior
Name: Didi
Age: other
Location: WA

Question:
Hello,

I watch the Robin on a fairly regular basis,but today I saw a behavior that is new to me. The Robin was walking around the grass as they do while hunting. When I looked again, it was sitting in the grass with its wings spread out and feathers fluffed. I thought that in that small amount of time,a cat had pounced and ran away-highly unlikely. I went outside to check on it,and it flew up into the cherry tree directly above it. It was fine.

Can you tell me what this behavior meant? Was it just resting in the warm grass?

Without seeing the bird and its surroundings, I cannot pinpoint exactly what it was doing. My first thought is that the bird was needing heat. If it was in the direct sun, it could have been spreading out it's wings in order to have more surface area to get more heat. The ground is also warm and it would eliminate wind chill. If the robin was a juvenile, it could have been displaying this behavior out of fear of its surroundings.

Grace Fields