NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Herons Fledging
Name: Jayme
Location: NY

Question:
I live in Westchester NY. I frequent the local reservoir, where I had the chance to view fledgling green backed herons. It is August 22 and they still can not fly (but should be able to soon). Is this normal for this time of year?

Green herons have a fairly long incubation of 3 weeks or more, and nestling phase of up to 5 weeks before fledging, so I think it not unusual for the young to be at this stage in late August. Nesting is a precarious business and a pair may have gotten a later start than usual for any number of reasons.