NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Crayfish Habitat
Name: Eric
Location: OH

Question:
Hello and first of all let me say that I am very happy about the work you do! Growing up as a kid in VA. crayfish was our past time we had hundreds of them, but now they are very hard to find. What is that I can do to help protect the crayfish in my area?

Thanks for wanting to help out these amazing animals! One thing that crayfish need is mud to burrow into by a wet area, like a creek or a stream. Many times when waterways become polluted it will decrease the number of species that live there...like the crayfish. Perhaps this is happening where you live. Another problem could be a lack of food supply. My advice to you would be to talk to your local DNR (division of natural resources) and ask what their statistics are on the crayfish in your area. If indeed they are decreasing in number, you can see if they have any programs running or know of any organizations who might be involved in helping out the crayfish. Perhaps their might be a group cleaning up waterways that you could join which would help not only the crayfish, but also many other local species.

Good luck!

Grace Fields