NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Betta Tank Size
Name: Rocky
Age: other

Question:
Hi I'm a animal protection officer and the question I have is how much water and space does a bata fish need to be kepted comfortable. I have seen bata's kepted in very small containers with just enough water to cover the fish. As I understand it a general rule of thumb is 1" of fish per gallon of water so a 10 gallon tank you can keep 10 inches of fish I think.

Betta splendens does not need to follow the rule of tank size because this species can gulp air. The rule you state refers to oxygen need and this fish, amoung others such as goldfish and carp, can use air for supplemental oxygen. Most other fresh water fish are not so adaptive. Bettas actually use air bubbles to build their nests.

ASPCA member