NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Fly Group Behavior
Name: Tara

Question:
When i went outside this morning there were about 100 flies on the wall of the shed. They were also in a metal bucket about 3 meters away and my ashtray. They were not flying but crawling around and as other bugs came up out of the ground and started to eat them, the flies who were slowly moving didn't put up a fight. What could have been going on?

This seems like a strange situation. The only thing I can think of is that the flies hatched out early because there were a few warm days. They were staying on warm things like the shed and the metal bucket, things in the sun or that retained heat. It is common for flies to stay fairly still when they are too cold. I'm thinking they hatched out too early, got too cold and were trying to warm up, and were not able to fly away from the other insects.

Grace Fields