NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Post Cocoon Emergence
Name: Lauren

Question:
Hey I was just wondering on I have a caterpillar and i put him in a small container and he is now in his cocoon. I need to know what do i do like eating or how do i take care of him?? Thank you

The insect will not need to eat or drink while it is in the coccoon. Put it in a large jar with some air holes poked in the top. Put a stick in the jar so that when the butterfly or moth emerges it will have something to climb up on and spread its wings. You can give the butterfly or moth a sponge soaked with water to drink and a sponge soaked with sugar water for food (mix 1g of sugar for every 10 mL water), but the critter will probably do better outside if it is warm enough.

Aurora Toennisson