NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bluebird nesting Issue
Name: Ann

Question:
I have had bluebirds this spring near my home. I was so excited to see they began to nest in an old bluebird house after I cleaned out an old nest from the year before. I don't know what was nesting their previously. They built one nest and shortly after I noticed 4 eggs. Some time later the eggs were on the ground outside the nest. I left the nest alone and waited for them to return, they didn't. I removed the nest after about 5 days and they built another nest. then 4 more eggs. I was hoping for babies, then a few days later the eggs were on the ground outside the nest. Why do you suppose this happened? I never touched the nest, only opened the box and looked. Can you tell me why?

I can only guess, without seeing for myself. A likely GUESS is some kind of predator. Raccoons and snakes are two common predators of bluebird nests, however a snake would likely swallow the eggs whole and leave no remains. Were the eggs on the ground broken or whole? Many bluebird nest boxes are now designed with some kind of predator guard to reduce the chances of raccon and other predation.