NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Fish Kills and Nuts
Name: Jimmie

Question:
Is it true that Walnuts, and hickery nuts can cause fish kill in small ponds and lakes?

I have never heard of such a reaction. The juglone toxin in walnuts mostly affects other plants. This helpful website includes the following quote:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

"The juglone toxin occurs in the leaves, bark and wood of walnut, but these contain lower concentrations than in the roots. Juglone is poorly soluble in water and does not move very far in the soil." I have never heard of any toxic reactions to hickories.