NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Robin Nest Habits
Name: Christina

Question:
Do American Robins return to the same nest each year if possible? I have a nest I have left alone and for the past 3 years a robin has used it. Could it be the same bird?

It is quite common for birds to return to the same area to nest several years in a row. It is very rare for songbirds like robins to use the same nest more than once, as the nests become dirty and home to many parasites. If the same nest is being reused, it could be the same bird.