NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Hibernation and Captivity
Name: Julie

Question:
I "adopted" a toad that had lived in his basement for several years. I know that toads have a hibernation season, but is it the same for toads in captivity? Should I continue to feed him during this time? He has adjusted well to his 50 gallon aquarium, should I try to introduce another toad for company?

Reptiles and amphibians kept in warm places in captivity typically do not hibernate, but they do become sluggish and eat considerably less. Continue to offer food but don't be too alarmed if it doesn't eat very much. "Company" is not an issue for these kinds of animals, another one will be fine in that size aquarium, but don't worry about the one being by itself.