NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Salamander Eggs
Name: Bobby

Question:
I read one of your articles by George W. Dunne and Roland F. Eisenbeis, about Frogs, Toads and Salamander Eggs. I have a hard time finding salamander eggs and I was wondering how you go about it? I was also wondering if there was a book you would recommend on salamanders?

Interesting question - find them by careful searching in appropriate habitat and time of year. Tiger salamanders, the most common in Illinois, and probably Iowa, lay eggs very early, often when there is still ice, most often in ponds and pools in woodlands. They are attached to sticks or other objects, often close to the bottom, and so fairly easy to find in shallow pools, harder in deeper ponds. They are also somewhat camouflaged by being darker above than below. The comment in the article you mention that they are "easy to find," I think is relative - they are easy to find if you know when, where and how to look. I don't know of any specific book on salamanders but references on amphibians in general include Harding, Amphibians and Reptiles of the Great Lakes Region, which while not covering the prairie country is general enough to be of great interest. Smith, The Amphibians and Reptiles of Illinois is detailed and should be of considerable use in Iowa.