NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Birds in a Planter
Name: Diane

Question:
On mothers day my son gave me a beautiful hanging plant that we placed on my back porch. Last Wed I took the plant down to water it and found a perfect shaped nest that had been built in it. On thursday there was a robin sitting in the nest. When it flew away my son looked inside to find three eggs. Since then the robin has been sitting there daily. My question is that when the robin takes off to feed is it allright to water the plant around the nest?

Robins spend little time off the nest. Either observe when this happens or take the chance of watering anyway by shooing the bird. Avoid getting the nest wet or the young when they are hatched, and don't be surprised if the adults abandon the nest. They will start another elsewhere.