NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bird Feeders
Name: Cara

Question:
I have a bird feeder in my front lawn. Recently a pair of American Black Ducks have been visiting and eating the mixed seeds I put out for the song birds. Should I continue to feed the song birds knowing I am also feeding the ducks, or should I temporarily stop feeding the birds and hope the ducks find somewhere else to eat?

Ducks are birds of opportunity when it comes to food. Chances are the food you are serving has corn or peanuts in it and that is probably their selection. Change your feeders to using only oil sunflower seeds, Niger thistle and suet. The last two require special feeders, but that is about all you need to see a wide variety of birds, and avoid the ducks. Well, there is always exceptionsfor all bird species are different individually and you can find weird individuals occasionally.