NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Mice and Food Storage
Name: Denise

Question:
Do mice gather and store food (for winter or otherwise)? I have found several spots in my house where something is storing pellets of dog food from my dog's dish. 1-3 full cups of food have been found in my boots, corner of closet, in my vacuum cleaner and in between the cushions of my couch in the last few weeks. When I clean up a pile, it seems to move to a new spot. I have never seen a mouse in the house or droppings and obviously have a dog which I would have thought to be a deterrent. Is this unusual or typical behavior of a mouse/mice?

I have had mice around for years, both as lab animals and as pests in my house from time to time. I have never observed any hoarding behaviour, and have nor heard of common mice hoarding food. I would suggest you look for another culprit.

Nigel Skelton
Tennant Creek High School
AUSTRALIA

There are many mice species and some are known to establish areas for food storage while other areas are used for waste, still others for sleep, rearing young, etc.

To be honest, this sounds like a gerbel, but you'd probably know of this possibility.