NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Wren Nest Predation
Name: June

Question:
We had a pair of wrens build a nest in a rather large begonia on my patio. There were 6 eggs. I was gone 3 days, (it's been 2 weeks for the nest) and when I returned there is no sign of the eggs. The nest is empty, but no eggs shells anywhere. What happened?

There are several possible candidates for a predator that would take off with the eggs or swallow them whole. A snake is one good guess. Were the eggs in a box or cavity, as wren nests usually are? If not, a squirrel might carry eggs away.

The nest could have very well been attacked by some sort of predator. Since it sounds like a climbing animal might be able to reach it, my best guess would be that a raccoon or Virginia opossum made a big meal of eggs one night. It also could have been a snake, but from the location I'm thinking that raccoon and opossum are a better guess.

Grace Fields