NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dolphins and Bubbles
Name: Suzanne

Question:
Hi, we were watching the attached video about dolphins. My 4 year old grandchild wants to know what's in a bubble, and I'd like to know; do the dolphins use these bubbles to get oxygen while under water?

Hi Suzanne.

The bubbles dolphins exhale (breathe out) consist mostly of Carbon Dioxide which results from their process of respiration. Please refer to this URL for a more detailed explanation of respiration. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respiration

The dolphins do not use the bubbles to get oxygen while underwater. The dolphins have to come to the surface to inhale a breath that is about 20% oxygen.

Sincere regards,
Mike Stewart

The video didn't come through to me, but I'm assuming it is a form of feeding called bubble netting. Different species of dolphins and whales have been known to blow air out of their blow holes as they swim around schools of fish, encircling them in a "bubble net." The dolphins then take turns darting into the circle to grab fish. Dolphins have also been known to blow bubbles or bubble rings and "play" with them underwater!

Grace Fields