NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bats and Houses
Name: Donna
Grade: 12+

Question:
We isolated 2 bats in one room , left the light on and one window open. We could hear them flying around for about 30 minutes. May I assume they flew out the window, or should I be checking the closet and other areas? Is it unusual for 2 bats to be together in the house?

Donna

Just treat them like birds.

Enter the room, close the door behind you, open the window as wide as you can and use a broom to get them flying and herd them toward the window. They should want to get out of there as soon as they can. If you leave the window open long enough they will probably fly out on their own unless the light you have on is attracting bugs for them to eat.

Sincere regards,
Mike Stewart

Since bat typically roost in groups, it's not strange to find them together. Once the bats are out, check around the house for any spots where they could have possibly entered. Seal up those spots, as the bats are likely to return now that they found an entry point!

Grace Fields

It seems a bit unusual but not unheard of for 2 bats to get in at once. You should check carefully to find how they got in, you might have a few or a small colony nearby or even in your attic or other dark place. Its likely the 2 made it out the window but I would definitely search in any dark hiding place to be sure.