NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Egg Masses near Pond

Name: Lucia
Grade: K-3
Location: LA

Question:
I have a 1200 gallon pond with koi in it. While cleaning the filter, my husband noticed about 10-12 round, clear "balls". They are about the size of a marble and firm but pliable. They are just outside the pond, so they are not wet. Could these be frog eggs?, and if so, will they survive out of the water? I'm afraid to put them in water, as the koi might eat them. Should we put them in a shallow container until they hatch?

Frog eggs are soft, jelly-like masses, and their yolks are dark. At least, that is true for the frog eggs that I hatched when I was a boy.

Richard E. Barrans Jr., Ph.D., M.Ed. Department of Physics and Astronomy University of Wyoming