NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Frog Mouth Movement

Name: Khinlatt
Country: Burma

Question:
Why is the underneath of a frog's mouth constantly moving up and down?

It is part of breathing and vocalization.

It is part of breathing movement while in males it also helps in making sounds through sound box

Waseem

Hi Khinlatt,

Thanks for the question. I think that the underneath of a frog's mouth moves in order to suck in and expel air--also known as aspiration. The frog needs to aspirate air in order to breathe and to make calls (frog noises) and mating calls to other frogs.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks Jeff