NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Mammals Feet and Winter

Name: Susan

Question:
Why don't coyote (red fox, wolves) feet freeze in winter?

Many species that spend time in the snow have hair that grows in between the pads on their paws, giving them added warmth!

Grace Fields

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the question. Feet have a few features which prevent them from freezing in cold weather. There is fur and the padding of the feet act as insulators. I believe the circulation changes so as to increase blood flow to the feet.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff