NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Species Recognition and Behavior

Name: Corey

Question:
Why can't humans be the Alpha male of another species? An example being, if a human could show physical dominance over a lion pride leader, why could the human not be the new pride leader? Is mating and dominance intertwined, or would it be possible for a human to be the Alpha male of a pride and leave the mating to other male lions in the pride?

Corey

Why would a real lion alpha male pass on the benefits of being the alpha male when he could simply bite off the head of the human interloper in one bite?

Mating and Dominance are intertwined in many species, such as lions, elk, buffalo, gorillas, baboons, horses and on and on and on and on.

Sincere regards, Mike Stewart

Hi Corey,

Thanks for the question. From my understanding of the animal world, mating and dominance are intertwined. I do not think that humans can be the alpha male of another species since the humans and the species do not recognize or communicate with each other.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff