NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Bobcats in Illinois

Name: Ray
Location: IL

Question:
Bobcats and Cook County. Am aware of one that used to hang in Justice. Coyotes took care of that, he or she was very cute. Kinda slow and dumb. Are there anymore?

A wild bobcat would not likely be slow or dumb, and would be a pretty good match for a coyote. Mis-identification of cats is frequent. In years of experience with the Cook County forest preserves, I never heard of a report of bobcat in the Justice area. That said, some years ago there was a possible sighting in far north Cook County and a very intriguing set of tracks, but never confirmed. Bobcats have been verified close and could possibly have made it to Cook County. I doubt there is a permanent population, but occasional bobcats might be found.

J Elliott